Ask Kari: How can we help my daughter’s boyfriend who is addicted to drugs?

Dear Kari,

My daughter just told me that her long-term boyfriend has a substance abuse problem. She shared with me that he has been using marijuana and cocaine to relax. I am shocked to hear this information, as her boyfriend works full-time and seems so responsible. My daughter states that she is concerned that he is addicted to these substances and needs help. What do you suggest she do?

– Concerned Mom

Dear Concerned Mom,

I am sorry to hear that your daughter’s significant other is using substances and needs help. First, his issues need to be addressed by a health care professional, either his primary care physician (PCP) or a licensed mental health professional with experience with substance use, not your daughter or you. This issue is too big for individuals and families to address on their own. Suggest that your daughter’s boyfriend call his PCP today for an appointment and/or look into local counselors with chemical dependency experience for support. I wish all of you well.

– Kari

As published in the November 2019 issue of Connections.

About Kari:

Kari O’Neill, MSW, LICSW, is a licensed independent clinical social worker and a resident of Issaquah Highlands.

This column is for entertainment purposes only. If you are in crisis and in need of support please contact the Crisis Clinic at 866-427-4747.

Email your Ask Kari questions to [email protected] or use our online form. All email user personal information will remain confidential and not be published.